HOZ - Hacha Open Zource v1.65
Copyright (C) 2004 Gustavo Picon
Source Code: hoz-165.tar.gz
Windows binaries: hoz-165.zip
Debian intel package it's available here.
You can also add the following lines in your
/etc/apt/sources.list file, then use
apt-get install hoz to install it.
deb http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
To recompile Debian package for your specific platform, type the following commands after add sources lines:
# apt-get update
# apt-get source -b hoz
HOZ is what you would call a 'file splitter'. Its file format is the same as
the one used by the 'Hacha' software, a well known splitter in Spain and
Latinamerica. HOZ is an open-source and portable C implementation of an
'Hacha' compatible splitter.
HOZ is smaller and faster than 'Hacha'.
btw, I used a 'Z' isntead of a 'S' in 'Zource' because 'hoz' is 'sickle' in
spanish, and since 'hacha' is the spanish word for 'axe'...
Download the hoz-XX.zip file and use some of the binaries included there:
hoz-en.exe CLI, english
hoz-es.exe CLI, spanish
hoz-fr.exe CLI, french
whoz-en.exe Windows UI, english
whoz-es.exe Windows UI, spanish
whoz-fr.exe Windows UI, french
These binaries have been compiled with the MINGW compiler included in
DEV-C++, and then compressed with UPX. you can find the original binaries
in noupx.zip, also included in hoz-XX.zip
- Other platforms:
There are two available user interfaces:
All you need is make and a standard C compiler.
To build type './makehoz cli'
The binary generated will be named 'hoz'
You'll need make, a C compiler and GTK2 installed on your system.
To build type './makehoz gtk'
The binary generated will be named 'ghoz'
In case you want to build the CLI and GTK2 versions at the same time, you
can use './makehoz both'
By default, an english version will be built. If you want a different
language, you can pass another parameter to './makehoz'. Currently there are
three langs supported: 'en' (english), 'es' (spanish) and 'fr' (french).
So for example, if you want to make a spanish GTK2 build of HOZ, you'll have
to type './makehoz gtk es'
The binaries will be generated in /usr/bin, so you must have the right
permissions to use './makehoz' (when in doubt, su to root).
There are two basic operations: cut and paste. Cut will 'split' a file in
pieces. The size of each piece is passed as an option. Each piece will have a
numeric extension, starting with 0. So for instance if you 'cut' a file called
'foo.iso', the pieces will be named 'foo.iso.0', 'foo.iso.1' and so on.
Paste will 'merge' these pieces and generate and exact copy of the original
CLI versions: type 'hoz --help'
Graphical versions: Click, click, click...
- Staring in version 2.79, 'Hacha' has an option of adding a 'CRC' code to the
file pieces. This 'CRC' code _is_not_a_standard_algorithm_ and has been
invented by the author of 'Hacha'. HOZ _does_not_ include an option to
generate this 'CRC', or to check it when a file is 'Pasted'. Note that you
can still paste files that has this 'CRC' code without problems.
- The win32 binaries have been compressed with UPX. If your antivirus find
an infected file (a false alarm), you can find the original binaries in
noupx.zip. And please get a better antivirus software.
* 1.65 (2004-Feb-18)
- Added support for size suffixes in the cli mode ('K'=KiB and 'M'=MiB)
- Added a size combobox in the GTK and Win32 versions, so you can select
"bytes", "KiB" (1024 bytes) and "MiB" (1024*1024 bytes)
- Fixed a bug in the gtk version, was showing an invalid size message when
the size editbox was empty.
* 1.63 (2004-Feb-11)
- Added getopt_long support (--* options). Hopefully this will make Rudy
* 1.61 (2004-Jan-21)
- Fixed a bug that could generate corrupt pieces on _very_rare_ ocassions.
* 1.6 (2004-Jan-14)
- Fixed a bug when pasting (forgot to remove a debug code)
* 1.5 (2004-Jan-12)
- Added a graphical user interface for *NIX systems, in GTK2.
- Shell script for *NIX builds: './makehoz'
- File operations will stop when there is no more bytes free in the
- Very minor bugfixes/improvements
- Added an option to specify an output dir when cutting/pasting
- Added an option to 'force' a file overwrite when pasting.
- Corrected a bug when calculating the control byte when cutting (internal)
- Now using getopt for the CLI version.
- Minor bugfixes.
* 1.1: First public version
# See also:
- Hacha: The original program. Written in (ugh) Visual Basic for the win32
platform. Hacha is freeware, but not open source.
This software has been published under the GNU/GPL license.
Read 'copying.txt' for more info.
The usual: published as-is, no warranty, no support.
There is not a single line of SCO source code in this software.